Lobster hoop nets are a fun and more active way of catching lobsters compared to traditional traps. Most commonly used from piers or jetties, these hoops lay flat on the bottom of the ocean and attract lobsters to them with some bait placed in the middle. They’re then pulled up as quickly as possible which traps the lobsters between the gaps in the netting until they reach the surface and are retrieved.
Finding the perfect lobster hoop net can be a tricky affair, especially when you consider the number of options on the market. That’s why we’ve reviewed the dozens of options available and narrowed it down to a list of five nets you can order online today!
- Feililon Portable Folded Lobster Net is the best value for your money.
- Promar Deluxe Hoop Net – Best for Catching Lobsters from Piers .
- Promar Ambush Hoop Net – Best for a Convenient Catching Experience.
- KUFA Rubber Wrapped Steel Ring Lobster Trap – Best for Trapping Larger Lobsters.
- Feililon Portable Folded Lobster Net – Best for Portability.
- Like-Fish Foldable Fishing Net – Best for Catching Lobster in Open Waters.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Promar Deluxe Hoop Net is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Promar Deluxe Hoop Net||Check Price|
|Promar Ambush Hoop Net||Check Price|
|KUFA Rubber Wrapped Steel Ring Lobster Trap||Check Price|
|Feililon Portable Folded Lobster Net||Check Price|
|Like-Fish Foldable Fishing Net||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Lobster Hoop Nets
1. Promar Deluxe Hoop Net – Best for Catching Lobsters from Piers
- The diameter of the top ring is 36 inches
- The diameter of the base ring is 14 inches
- Poly netted
- Features a rope if 100 feet
- Comes with 3 arm bridles and 2 PVC floats
- Price: Check Price
The Promar Deluxe Hoop Net is an excellent choice for those who wish to catch lobsters, crabs, or fish from jetties or piers – In fact, it’s specially designed for this purpose. The upper and lower rings are galvanized with zinc, which helps prevent corrosion, thus increasing your hoop net’s life. The white colored PVC floats are helpful because they help you understand how deep your net is in water, which is impressive. It allows you to catch more prey due to its 36 -inches large opening making it truly stand out.
This lobster hoop net is an optimal choice for those who wish to catch larger crustaceans such as lobsters. So, this hoop net is highly recommended for you if you are one of them.
- It is long-lasting
- Made up of strong materials
- The long rope makes it convenient to lower it in the water from a pier
- You will catch more
- Great value for the price
- It does not come with a bait pouch
- The rope quality needs improvement
2. Promar Ambush Hoop Net – Best for Convenient Catching Experience
- It comes with a 36 -inches diameter
- It has a sloped design
- It features a 20-inches opening
- It weighs 6 pounds
- The steel rings are vinyl-coated
- Price: Check Price
The Promar Ambush Hoop Net has a high demand due to its special steep and angular design. It helps to keep more of your prey, and it is suitable for larger creatures, such as crabs and lobsters. This product’s specialty is that it features an ocean blue net that matches the water’s color. Thus, it helps to trick the prey as the net can’t be seen.
Its steel rings are corrosion-resistant because of the additional vinyl coating provided. The design makes it even easier for the prey to get inside the net. You can conveniently pull the catch out because of its large opening. If you are looking for an overall easy and fun experience, we would highly recommend these hoop nets.
- It comes with a camouflage technology
- Very long-lasting because of the vinyl coating
- Suitable for catching lobsters
- Not so heavy
- It is a little expensive
- The end hooks should be more secured
3. KUFA Rubber Wrapped Steel Ring Lobster Trap – Best for Trapping Larger Lobsters
- Poly-ethylene netting
- The net is about 18 inches deep
- Features a 30 inches upper ring diameter
- The lower ring in 16 inches in diameter
- The rope has a thickness of 0.25 inches
- Price: Check Price
The KUFA lobster trap has many amazing and impressive features, making it likable for many. Its design allows it to soak underwater for longer periods. It also features a very thick orange rope. The rope holds a huge significance, because firstly, it is of very high quality, and secondly, it makes the net visible in inadequate weather conditions.
Its structure will help you catch large lobsters easily, so we would highly recommend it for that purpose. The steel rings are rubberized to sustain its life and prevent rotting or tearing. This is a unique feature that no other hoop net in our list holds.
- It is very spacious because of its depth
- Easy to take the catch out
- You can soak it for longer periods
- It is affordable
- It does not come with floats
- The rubberized material can fall off sometimes
- The holes are too large, making it inadequate for catching small creatures
4. Feililon Portable Folded Lobster Net – Best for Portability
- The diameter of the upper ring is 31 -inches
- The lower ring’s diameter is 23 -inches
- The depth of this net is 11 -inches
- It features a bait bag
- Price: Check Price
The Feililon fishing net can help you catch huge creatures like crabs, lobsters, and even the tiny ones like crawfish, shrimps, etc. The materials used are; steel for the rings and nylon for the net. This structure makes it very lightweight, which only adds up to its portability. You can easily fold it and carry it around with you on your fishing trips.
Another upside to this fishing net is that it is really easy to use, and you do not need to install anything when opening it up. All you need to do is remove it from the packaging, place the bait inside the already present bait box, and lower the net underwater. You shall also put some bait on the top of the net in the river. Wait for a while and enjoy your catch.
- The large opening makes it convenient for the user to take out its catch
- It is very capacious
- The compact design makes it very portable
- Easy on the pocket
- It saves extra money for the bait box
- The nylon netting can tear off after a while
- The catch can leave through the large opening
- Its rope quality is not up to the standard
- It is not very suitable for saltwater
5. Like-Fish Foldable Fishing Net – Best for Catching Lobster in Open Waters
- The upper ring has a diameter of 31.5 -inches
- The lower ring has a diameter of 23.6 -inches
- It is foldable
- The rings are made up of soft steel
- It features nylon netting and a bait bag
- Price: Check Price
The Like-Fish lobster net is a product that is recommended to those who are looking to fish for some time. It serves its purpose well for the price that it comes in. You can fold it and carry it around very easily. Its portability is further enhanced because of the lightweight materials used in its design. It is suitable for catching small prey.
An upside to this net is its capacity, which will make it truly worth the purchase. It is great for your convenience since all you need to do is add the bait in the pouch placed in the middle and lower it down. After that, you need to wait for the sea creatures to fall prey to your trap.
- It lightweight
- Easy on your budget
- You can easily store it anywhere
- You can conveniently take out your catch because of the large opening
- It is spacious
- Can rot over time due to no protective coatings
- Cannot bear a lot of weight
- Large crustaceans can tear the nylon apart
- Poor quality rope
- Not so durable
Before giving your heart out to any product, you must first check out the qualities and features that make it the most suitable according to your requirements and needs. Therefore, we have listed a few of the features of lobster hoop nets that you must go through before making your decision for your convenience.
The ideal materials for lobster hoop nets are those that provide ease in every aspect. These materials must be strong so that they don’t tear. They must be lightweight so that you can easily carry them around. They must also be resistant to corrosion because otherwise, they will not be long lasting. You can find all these qualities in a metal alloy coated with any protective layer. So, you must check if your desired fishing net’s material has all these qualities.
The ring size is very important when choosing a fishing net. A larger ring size allows more capacity for catches, so if that’s your requirement, you should look for a large ring size. It also provides ease in taking out your prey from the net. However, sometimes the catch can escape because of it, so make your decision wisely.
Net depth holds a huge significance in deciding the hoop net of your choice. We recommend that you go for a deeper net because who doesn’t love a net that can get them more catch? However, if you are fishing for leisure purposes and do not require a large capacity, go for a net without much depth.
Now, this is where you must take our advice. You should choose a product with a bait pouch already attached to it. This has many upsides because firstly, you save the money for buying an extra bait bag, and secondly, you will never lose it or misplace it since it will be already attached. So, unless you have an excellent memory and more money to spare, you should worry about not having a bait bag already installed in your product.
A good rope quality is essential as it will ensure that you easily pull up your catch without the fear that the rope will tear down. Many hoop nets offer a nylon rope, which is the usual; however, some products compromise its quality and lose their reviews. So do look out for a rope quality that is up to the standards set.
DurabilityThis factor is the most important while considering a lobster hoop net. Lobsters are creatures that can easily tear down a net, so if your product doesn’t guarantee its durability, then run away. If it can easily rot or tear down, then such a product is nothing but useless. Therefore, whatever your requirement is, try to find a net that mentions high durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best lobster hoop net?
While there is no standard for the perfect lobster hoop net, we do recommend the Promar Deluxe net as it will function best under most cirumstances. That being said, you should carefully consult our buyer’s guide above to help you make the right decision as to which net is ideal for you.
How do you catch lobsters using a lobster hoop net?
Catching lobsters using a lobster hoop net is very easy and does not require any rocket science. All you need to do is install the product if it requires an installment. Then choose the bait of your choice and place it inside the bait box. If the bait box is not already attached to the net, you should hang it inside. After that, you are supposed to lower your net down into the water and wait for your catch.
How do you bait a lobster hoop net?
Baiting a lobster hoop net is an easy task. All you need to do is select the perfect bait which will attract your prey quickly towards your trap. Then you put it inside the bait box present in the net. Some nets do not offer an attached bait pouch; you will have to attach one yourself in that case. After that, once you lower the net underwater, you shall throw some of the bait in the river, directly on top of your trap.
What is galvanization, and why is it important for lobster hoop nets?
Galvanization is a chemical process. It adds a coating or an extra layer of zinc on metals like iron or steel. This extra layer is added to help prevent corrosion of that material. Galvanization is important for lobster hoop nets because otherwise, it will rot and become useless. Therefore, a zinc coating is important for a long-lasting lobster hoop net.
What is the price range for a good lobster hoop net?
Lobster hoop nets are usually not so expensive. A good quality lobster hoop net can be bought for under 100 dollars. You can also get it for less than 50 dollars. It all usually depends on the sellers of the product. However, if you are not interested in a long-lasting hoop net and want one for just a few leisure trips, then you can get your hands on it for even under 20 dollars.