A strong lobster pot puller can save you a great deal of effort if you’re a serious lobster trapper. These line haulers are especially necessary if you plan on setting multiple lobster traps as pulling them up manually requires significant physical exertion. That’s why we’ve reviewed some of the best selling options on the market and found the best traps for different purposes, including:
- Scotty Trap-Ease 750 is the best value for your money.
- Scotty Trap-Ease 750 – Best for Manual Pulling.
- Scotty #2500 Electric Line Trap and Pot Puller – Best for Lighter Recreational Pots.
- Trac Outdoor Line Hauler/Pot Puller – Best for Easy Lift and Release.
- Five Oceans Powered Lobster Line Hauler & Pot Puller – Best for Portability.
- Power Hauler Lobster Pot Puller – Best for Heaver Commercial Pots.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Scotty #2500 Electric Line Trap and Pot Puller is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Scotty #2500 Electric Line Trap and Pot Puller||Check Price|
|Trac Outdoor Line Hauler/Pot Puller||Check Price|
|Five Oceans Powered Lobster Line Hauler & Pot Puller||Check Price|
|Power Hauler Lobster Pot Puller||Check Price|
|Scotty Trap-Ease 750||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Lobster Pot Pullers
1. Scotty #2500 Electric Line Trap and Pot Puller – Best for Lighter Recreational Pots
- The Scotty Electric Line trap has a motor of 12 Volts and a lifting capacity of 100 pounds.
- The body of the machine is made up of stainless steel to save it from rust and corrosion.
- The pulling speed of the machine is 120 ft/minute.
- The portable design of the device allows for easy carry and transport.
- Two-year manufacturer warranty.
- Price: Check Price
The Scotty Electric Line Trap is famous in the market for its quality. The machine offers a foldable design that makes it portable than ever. The machine’s motor can bear the weight of a full trap and a pull with a speed of 120ft/minute. It works great with the line between ¼” to 3/8′” inches.
It comes with a two-year warranty by the manufacturer. It is both a lightweight and easily assembled machine. The machine’s usage is very easy with a single on/off switch and a pulling process that is efficient and fast.
- Single-button operation.
- Two-year manufacturer warranty.
- Reliable and Durable.
- The pot size may not be ideal for large scale commercial pots.
2. Trac Outdoor Line Hauler/Pot Puller – Best for Easy Lift and Release
- It is a recreational line hauler that operates on a voltage of 12 V and can lift the weight of 110 pounds.
- Works efficiently on a low voltage and has the strength to pull 1 crab trap or 3 lobster traps.
- Works without making noise and is easy to store – portable.
- Plated with anti-corrosive material, so it is ready for the harsh salt-water environment.
- Equipped with a storage light, it offers an easy and smooth mounting and lightweight pulley on/off switch.
- Price: Check Price
The Trac Outdoor Line Hauler works like a pro. It can lift 110 lb weights, and the convenient pulley system makes the trapping process very easy. The machine does not make any horrible sound and is very portable to be stored easily. The machine weighs 22.1 lbs.
The construction material is coated with an anti-corrosion layer to save the machine from the harsh salt-water environment. The product’s horsepower is not specified; however, it has a line speed of 150 feet per minute. The quick and efficient pulley system makes the setup easier. There is a two years manufacturer warranty.
- Two years warranty by the manufacturer.
- One single switch to operate.
- Installation of the machine is easy.
- The overall design is great.
- Works quietly as compared to other pot pullers.
- Must be connected to a Scotty power plug to operate.
- May have a problem outside of slack water conditions.
3. Five Oceans Powered Lobster Line Hauler & Pot Puller – Best for Portability
- The Five Oceans Power Line Hauler has a portable design; allows disassembling of the component, making it a machine that requires minimum storage space.
- It comes equipped with an openly turning axel and a hand-operated processing wheel, removing the need to apply force in the rope pulling.
- The trap capacity is 190 Lbs and a power output of 900 Watts.
- Ideal for crab, lobsters, prawns, and shrimp trapping.
- Price: Check Price
The Five Oceans Power Line Hauler has a hauling speed of 35 m/min for normal load and 30m/min for heavy loads. The power consumption of the machine varies from 12 A to 75 A based on the load. The machine comes with a one-year warranty by the manufacturer.
The hauling wheel can be operated in both forward and reverse directions because of the forward and reverse switch attached to the hauling wheel. The rotating axle of the hauling wheel can either be left unlocked, so the trap follows the pull direction, or it can be locked using screws.
- Well-made product.
- Easy to operate.
- The machine comes without a plug.
- It needs to be connected to a battery.
4. Power Hauler Lobster Pot Puller – Best for Heaver Commercial Pots
- The Power Hauler Crab Pot is designed for heavier loads.
- It has a 12 V 2.3 HP that makes it an ideal option for commercial usage.
- The machine’s lifting capacity is 200 pounds, and the pulling speed is 120 feet per minute.
- It is made from schedule 80 aluminum tubing. This puller ensures a steady and firm pulling of even the heaviest of pots.
- Comes equipped with a low-upkeep gearbox.
- Price: Check Price
The Power Hauler Crab Pot Puller is an ideal machine for commercial use. It is made to be used with heavier loads. The easy-to-operate power switch makes it an easy-to-use machine. It is constructed using beautifully polished aluminum tubing that offers a steady and firm pulling of the pots.
It is constructed in a way that ensures smooth solutions to the heaviest loads. The non-resistant gauge wires come with automatically resetting breakers and an open chain. This puller has a maximum weight limit of 200 pounds with a maximum 120 ft/min speed.
- Pulling capacity of 200 pounds
- Zero maintenance usage.
- Easy operation.
- Ideal for heavy loads.
- Extremely Expensive.
5. Scotty Trap-Ease 750 – Best for Manual Pulling
- The Scotty Trap-Ease is an easy retrieval pot hauler.
- The operation is very smooth due to the large size roller with a rotating head.
- It can be used with ropes that have ½” inch diameter.
- The body is made using tough nylon and has a rigid design.
- Ideal for non-commercial use.
- Price: Check Price
The Scotty Trap-Ease is an ideal prawn, lobster, and crab trap roller for non-commercial and single- trap use. The extended arm of the machine helps protect the boat. The rigid design of the hauler gives it the ultimate strength.
The product is known for its best quality and easy operation. The functioning of the machine is very well and durable. The only downside of this machine is that it costs arm and leg and isn’t affordable for many people.
- Best Quality.
- Easy to handle.
- Easy Usage.
- Very well-functioning.
- It can be affected by weather conditions.
- Expensive for many people.
- Usage is very limited.
Recreational vs. Commercial
The recreational and commercial haulers are different from each other based on certain attributes. The recreational pullers are lightweight, portable, easy to assemble, have a lower maximum pulling capacity, require more manual force, and result in physical exertion. However, commercial pullers are made to be heavier and stronger. They are made using material that ensures strong performance and grip.
The commercial pullers have more strength and maximum pulling power for retrieving dozens of crab, shrimps, and lobsters in one go. Also, electrical pullers would require no manual work and effort. The machine does the work itself while you enjoy the view around you and the sea breeze.
Manual vs. Electric
The manual pot haulers are ideal for small-scale recreational hauling where the pulling capacity is not much, the weight of the trap is under 100 lbs- bearable for the human hand and, it’s good for small boats. An electric hauler is best for commercial usage and traps that weight ranges between 100-300 lbs. The most common type of electric hauler is a 12 Volt electric-powered haul.
The maximum lifting capacity of the hauler machine is of extreme importance. When the pots immerse into the water, they become quite heavy, plus the shellfish’s added weight. So, you need a puller with more strength and power to retrieve those shellfish from the water. And with water that is other than slack water, you need a more heavy-duty motor to handle the extreme water sea current. For recreational harvesting in slack water, even a 100-pound lifting capacity is enough.
The pulling speed of the hauler is very important for maximum efficiency. The speed of retrieving the pot varies significantly with the weight of your trap, the strength of the sea-waves, the depth of the pot you are using, and the lobsters’ weight. You can not expect that the time would be the same for every pull you make because it depends largely on the weight in every drop.
The sea environment can be very harsh at times and can result in rusting or corrosion of your hauler’s material. The ideal choice will be to choose a machine boasting material that is both durable and portable, like aluminum tubing, to save yourself from the hassle of saving frequent purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which lobster pot hauler is best?
The market is filled with products that claim to be the best put hauler maker among all. However, certain attributes determine if their claim is actually true or not. The best pot hauler would be the one that is:
- easy to operate
- easy to mount and dismount
- made up of good quality material like aluminum tubing to save the machine from the harsh sea environment
- has a good maximum lifting capacity and lifting speed
- does not cost you much.
The Scotty #2500 Electric Line Trap and Pot puller might be the best option that ticks all the boxes in the checklist to possess attributes of being a great pot puller.
How do you use a lobster pot puller?
An electric lobster pot puller is extremely easy to use. All you need to do is reach your spot, recoup your line and attach it to the puller. Then switch on the puller by using the on/off switch, and the pulling process would complete itself while you wait.
The same goes for the manual pot puller. Reach your location, retrieve the line, attach it to the hauler, and start pulling. That’s it! However, it would require more physical force.
When should you retrieve your lobster pots?
The ideal time to retrieve your pot from the water is when the water is slack. Slack water is the period between the tides when the water is at complete rest, and there is no movement in either way of the tidal stream. This is when the lobsters or the marine species you are planning to catch searches for their food. It’s also when there is no interference so that the retrieval process would be smoother and less energy-consuming. If you retrieve your pot during the waves, it will take more effort and power to retrieve it.
Should I use a manual or electric lobster pot puller?
The use of the manual or electric lobster pot puller depends on your use. If you plan on catching the lobsters for recreational purposes and if your catch is less than 100 lbs in weight, then the ideal choice would be to use a manual pot. However, if you plan on commercial pulling with a weight that exceeds 100 lbs, you must go for the electric one.
Also, it depends on the intensity of your use. If you go to catch lobster once in a while and do not mind the physical force that comes with the pulling, you can use the manual pot as cheaper. If you are a habitual catcher, you need to use the electric one to save you from all the extra labor and pulling, but this can cost you an arm and a leg.
Can you use the lobster pot puller with other traps?
You can technically use the pot puller with other traps, too, like an octopus, shrimp, crabs, lobsters, prawns, etc.