One of the most important parts of shrimping is attracting them to either your trap or net. That’s why the bait you choose is very important and while most people often opt for anything from flour or corn meal to cat food and chicken feed, we recommend you pick up a bait specifically designed to attract shrimp. It will significantly increase your yield and can double or even triple your catch.
We’ve reviewed the best selling shrimp baits on the market and have narrowed it down to a list of four that you can purchase online today, including the best for different uses:
- Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil – 16 Ounce is the best value for your money.
- The ‘Original’ Bait Binder Bait Kit – Best for All Types of Shrimp.
- LFS Inc. Prawn/Shrimp Super Bait – Best for Commercial Use.
- Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil – 1/2 Gallon – Best for Catching Shrimp & Crabs.
- Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil – 16 Ounce – Best for A Single Fishing Trip.
Our Top Overall Pick
- The ‘Original’ Bait Binder Bait Kit is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|The 'Original' Bait Binder Bait Kit||Check Price|
|LFS Inc. Prawn/Shrimp Super Bait||Check Price|
|Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil - 1/2 Gallon||Check Price|
|Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil - 16 Ounce||Check Price|
Top 4 Best Shrimp Baits
1. The ‘Original’ Bait Binder Bait Kit – Best for All Types of Shrimp
- The bait kit is highly durable and weighs just 15 pounds
- For packaging, a Zip-tied bag is used
- It has a long shelf life
- You simply need to add some water to the bait
- Attracts all water animals in salt or freshwater
- Price: Check Price
This Bait Binder Kit is almost 20 years old, but its performance has remained consistently strong in all these years. The Bait Binder Bait Kit is the right product for you if you’re looking for a bait that can attract pretty much everything from crabs and shrimps to crawfish and all other kinds of small fish. It’s even a great bait to use if for chumming the waters.
Preparation couldn’t be simpler: just add water. Once the bait is damp it begins to clump together so you can make balls of bait before dropping it into your desired fishing location.
When making bait balls, start with opening the sealed bag and put some bait mixture in a mixer. Add some water while mixing the bait with your fingers. Making baits has never been this easy before. Once you reach the perfect moisture point, start converting the mixture into your required size and shape. You can do some brainstorming to determine the correct shape and size for catching your desired creature before you start shaping your bait. Try making bait balls on the spot rather than making them a night before so that they can stay fresh. The performance this bait offers is beyond incredible.
- Has a very long shelf life.
- It is highly convenient to use and doesn’t take much time to form bait balls.
- Not messy.
- Perfect for shrimp, crabs and crawfish.
- Just takes a small amount of water to form a bait mixture
- It is more expensive than other bait kits in the market
2. LFS Inc. Prawn/Shrimp Super Bait – Best for Commercial Use
- This bait comes soaked in a lot of oil
- When in water, this bait stays fresh for at least 24 hours
- Shelf life estimated by the experts is approximately 1-year
- It doesn’t require any refrigeration
- It only requires filling the bait cups for forming a mixture
- Price: Check Price
LFC Inc. Prawn Super Bait is one of the most effective baits available in the market. This super bait is famous for having secret ingredients in the mixture, making it quite easy to catch prawns and shrimps using it. This bait comes in a highly durable box. As you open it, you will find this bait already soaked in oil. The only thing the user is supposed to do is fill the bait cups with this bait mixture. It is best to prepare your bait on the spot.
The LFC Inc. Prawn/Shrimp Super Bait is a worthy option for commercial and sports applications. It is highly effective, which makes this bait a highly demanded product among different fishers. This bait’s high price is also justified compared to its high demand and usage in different commercial activities. This bait is also effective in catching crabs. Adding some extra smell to the bait just a day before fishing will enhance its performance.
The best thing about this bait is the way it works. Super Prawn Bait breaks down immediately as soon as it is thrown in water. This helps to attract shrimps and prawns faster than most of the other baits. But it doesn’t dissolve after breaking. It takes time to break so that more water creature is attracted and gets trapped.
- This bait comes soaked in oil already, making it easy to use
- The box that it comes in is highly durable
- There is no prior preparation required to prepare this bait
- It has a year-long shelf life, which makes it a long-lasting product
- It doesn’t require any refrigeration; therefore, it is safe to store anywhere you like
- It is quite expensive, which is understandable due to the features it offers
3. Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil – 1/2 Gallon – Best for Catching Shrimp & Crabs
- This is a preservative-free bait
- It is made of everything natural
- This bait has a thick consistency
- It is made of amino acids, fish oil, and salmon eggs
- Price: Check Price
The Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait oil is a thick oily emulsion that can be used to marinate your bait a night before fishing. You can also use it by pouring it on your bait on the fishing day, but we recommend the early marinating process to get effective results.
This oil is made from a blend of fish oil, amino acids, and salmon egg oil. This oil also has a small amount of anise and other oil kinds to make it a perfect mixture to work effectively on both crabs and shrimps. The oil has also been enhanced with UV Flash. UV Flash in a built-in form ensures to attract fish when the oil is applied to the bait mixture. It helps in adding a lot of scent to the oil and attracting all kinds of species.
This oil has a life of up to 5 to 7 years. Some users might perceive its smell to be highly stinky. That’s not the case. It smells like fish oil only, which is nothing like fish fertilizer. Crabs and shrimps look for food that smells like fresh bait, and this oil does the same to achieve success. You can also mix other kinds of ingredients in the oil to enhance its performance if required. The oil bottle must be shaken well before using to avoid any splits and mess after you have opened it. You can keep the oil container safe wherever you feel like it is safe to put it under room temperature.
- Enhanced with UV flash which improves it’s potency
- This oil is made from 100% percent real fish
- Recreational shrimpers will find this oil worth their investment.
- This oil is a bit pricey
- It stinks a bit and has a long-lasting smell
4. Pro-Cure Crab and Shrimp Attractant Bait Oil – 16 Ounce – Best for A Single Fishing Trip
- Made from real and fresh bait
- Filled with amino acids to attract fish quickly
- UV flash in the oil enhances its smell and performance
- Shake well before use
- Used to marinate bait a night before fishing
- Price: Check Price
This attractant bait oil is a great way to catch as many crabs and shrimps as you want. This 16-ounce bottle of pure goodness is best for a day fishing trip. The best way to use this oil is by marinating your baits with this one night before your fishing day. You can also pour it on your bait a minute before throwing them in water, but the recommended way to use it is the one mentioned earlier.
This oil is made from a blend of salmon eggs, fish oils, and amino acids. The fish oil used in this oil is extremely high-quality. There is also some anise oil added to this oil to give it a good texture and smell. This oil has an in-built UV flash to make it more effective when it comes to its performance. The UV flash is also great for producing those extra scents that attract more crabs and shrimps.
If you are looking to catch a good amount of sea creatures at one time, here is a great tip for you: put your bait and this oil in a bag with a ziplock. Do this a night before the actual fishing day. Save that bag with oil in it, and you can reuse it with another batch of bait. This way, you can save the amount of oil used every time. Putting oil on the bait just before fishing will wash off this oil very quickly, and it all gets wasted.
- It is an effective oil that has proven to be a great attractant for fishing
- This oil is cheaper than all other oils
- It is very convenient to use and gets saved as well if used properly
- It stinks, and the smell is pretty long-lasting
- If you fail to shake it before using it, you will end up with oil all over yourself.
Dry vs. Pellets vs. Concentrate
Pellets are compressed fish food that most anglers use as bait. They work quite effectively because of the fish smell. Dry baits are small fish caught to work like baits to trap bigger sea creatures, while concentrate baits are fish foods mixed with various oils and acids to make a concentrated mixture for a bait.
When choosing which kind of bait to go for, it’s important to consider the trap’s size, the kind of sea creature you will catch, and the tide level.
The effectiveness of bait is as important as the reason behind buying it. Effectiveness depends on performance, and the performance can only be judged by the number of shrimps and crabs that get trapped. An effective bait oil or bait mix helps with a big catch and quicker fishing process. For the effectiveness of a bait oil or mix, read reviews to decide whether it’s worth it.
This feature explains the length of time a bait oil or mix lasts in water. This holds great importance when it comes to fishing. Some bait mix dissolves in the water fast, which means that mix isn’t appropriate enough when you need it for a long fishing plan. The most amazing baits dissolve slowly in water so that more and more sea creatures are caught with a single fishing trip.
Amount of Bait
Before choosing a bait, make sure you are aware of what amount of bait you need. Bait mixtures and oils come in different amounts. For commercial users, the need for bait for everyday use is more than for someone who goes fishing only once a week.
A bait with a shelf life between 1 to 2 years is perfect for those who go fishing regularly—the more the shelf life, the better the bait usage for a long time. Most baits come with a 1-year shelf life, which means that they can be used for 12 months straight.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best bait for shrimp?
If you’re looking specifically for shrimy you really can’t beat the Bait Binder Kit called the “Original.” It is an amazing bait that comes in a zip-tied bag of a heavy-duty quality. It has a long shelf life. You only have to add some water to form a perfect mixture to help shape it in different shapes and sizes for perfect bait.
What is the best time to catch shrimp?
The best time to catch shrimps is at night or when the tide is very low. The low tide helps the fishermen to concentrate on intertidal zones. At night, when the moon is full, the probability of catching the water creatures increases.
What else can you use for shrimp bait?
There are a variety of things that you can use as shrimp bait. You can go for dog food, canned cat food, and fish carcasses. All these food types perform well as baits.
How do you attach the bait to your shrimp trap?
The bait is attached through a bait box or a bait bag with the trap. You can attach the bait bag/box with the trap using a hook and use it to catch as many sea creatures as you want.